Monday, December 5, 2011

Mommies are Angels Without Wings

Larry and I settled down in our mid 30s.  Two years after our wedding, we were blessed with a child.  Considering our ages and our health, I said to myself that one child is just enough and she will be the only one we will ever need and love. It was an awesome feeling when the pregnancy test showed a positive sign. We offered thanksgiving prayers. I began a scrapbook documenting my child’s development from the time she first said “Hi Papa and Mommy!” in the pregnancy test, up to the time I gave birth to her. In one of the scrapbook’s pages, I have this conversation between a child and God. This is how it goes. . .

Once upon a time, there was a child to be born. One day, the child asked God: “God, I was told that you are going to send me to earth tomorrow. How am I supposed to live there when I am so helpless and small?” Then God replied, “Among the many angels, I chose one especially for you. She will wait for you and she will take care of you.” 

“But God, here in heaven, I do nothing but sing and smile. Those are enough for me to be happy.” “Every day, your angel will sing and smile for you, and you will feel your angel’s love and be happy.” “But how will I understand them if they talk to me?  I don’t know their language.” “Your angel will tell you the most beautiful and sweetest words you will ever hear. With patience and care, your angel will also teach you how to speak.” 

“What will I do when I want to speak to you?” “Your angel will teach you how to pray by placing your hands together.” “They said that the people on earth are bad men, who will protect me?” “Your angel will defend you. She will sacrifice her life just for you.” 

“I think I’m going to be sad because I will no longer see you.” “Don’t be my child. Your angel will always talk to you about me. She will teach you the ways for you to come back to me here in heaven.  I will always be next to you.” 

It was so peaceful in heaven that moment, but voices from earth could already be heard. The child was in a hurry, she softly asked God: “If I am about to go now, please tell me my angel’s name.” “Your angel’s name is not important; you will simply call her “Mommy.”




I constantly remind myself of that heavenly duty entrusted upon me. It is a lifetime loving commitment I promised to my child, to my family and most especially, to God. All Moms share this same sentiment, don’t we? We’re blessed to be Moms.

No comments:

Post a Comment